Sonar Split Screen Display on iPhone
Sonar (Sound Navigation And Ranging) is a technique that uses sound propagation (usually underwater) to
navigate, communicate with or detect objects on or under the surface of the water, such as other vessels.
Typically they are built into chartplotters and cost thousands of dollars.
Now you can get a high end Sonar Imaging experience using i-Boating , an extremely popular marine navigation app on iOS .
How Echo Sounding Sonar works?
Echo sounding is a type of Sonar used to determine the depth of water by transmitting
sound pulses into water. The time interval between emission and return of a pulse is
recorded, which is used to determine the depth of water along with the speed of sound in
water at the time. This information is then typically used for navigation purposes or in
order to obtain depths for charting purposes. Echo sounding can also refer to
hydroacoustic “echo sounders” defined as active sound in water (sonar) used to study fish.
Hydroacoustic assessments have traditionally employed mobile surveys from boats to
evaluate fish biomass and spatial distributions. Conversely, fixed-location techniques use
stationary transducers to monitor passing fish.
Sonar Split Screen Display
An adjustable height split screen enables you to look at realtime depth and water
temperature along with your location on the map. In Sonar mode, the app turns on auto
● Continuously update device’s location on the chart.
○ This is the standard moving map that shows device’s position on the chart
● Real time track overlay of the course you have sailed so far.
○ This shows the course you have already sailed in dark red/brown color. This
gives you an idea of how you got to your current location.
● Direction arrow showing a boat’s location if current course is maintained
○ This is helpful to avoid any sailing hazards esp if you are sailing for fun and
not following a pre-defined route.
Sonar Logging/Free HD Bathymetry maps
i-Boating Route Manager now includes support for Sonar Logs. Share your Sonar Logs with i-Boating
community and contribute to the creation of HD bathymetry maps for your waterbody.
Connect Multiple Devices, each with customized Sonar Displays
Multiple devices running i-Boating app can connect to the same SonarPhone ™, with individually customized Sonar
displays. Each i-Boating client can customize the following even if they are connected to the same SonarPhone ™.
● Background (Blue, Greyscale or White)
● Temperature unit (Celsius or Farenheit)
● Depth unit (Feet or metre)
● Chart Speed
● Fish Symbols/Depth
● Keel offset
● Temperature offset
● Fish Alarm
● Depth Alarm